Sunday, December 15, 2013

December 12, 2013

So my first week at the MTC was a crazy one. They have every minute of every day planned out for you. Regardless, it fills your day with good things. So my district consists of 3 other elders and 4 sisters. My companion is Elder Morrow, a guy from the marine corps who got relieved of duty to come on a mission. Me and him work well together, but sometimes our differences get in the way and we'd rather hang out with other people, specifically the other Elders in our room. He likes Elder Bishop, a small guy with a big voice. He has a comment for everything. I like Elder Phipps, who is actually a lot like me. He likes to draw, likes the same things I do, similar personalities, and he's a nerd! The Sisters in our district are Sister Lamborn: a ditzy kind of girl who plays basketball, but she's very pretty and has a nice spirit. Sister Rawlings: Also very pretty, but she's a huge nerd! Definitely not the kind of girl I expected her to be. But she's fun to talk to. Sister Clark: also a huge nerd, but she looks the part. She's very shy but also has a sweet spirit. Then there's Sister Peterson: a very shy and humble person. She's fun to talk to and will be friends with anyone.

So the second night we were here (Thursday), we met our branch presidency. They interviewed us and appointed district leaders. Elder Morrow and I were called over our district. Later that Sunday we were called to be Zone Leaders. Usually we'd have more responsibilities, but since we didn't get any new missionaries the week after us all we have to do is go to one extra meeting and check on how everyone's doing. There's definitely a different feel around here, this is dedicated ground after all. A lot of good experiences, but my favorite at the moment is the opportunities I've had to exercise my priesthood. I've received one blessing and have given three, and what I want to talk about is the one I gave Elder Jackman. Elder Jackman is in a different district, and they called Elder Morrow and I as zone leaders to step in and help give blessings. I found out afterwards that Elder Jackman had to be pushed to get one, and the one I gave was his very first one. I felt inspired for sure, I mean I don't even remember his first name. I just hope it helps.

Luckily I haven't felt too homesick yet, and the nights are okay, but I sure do miss my own bed. There's a cabinet outside our room with a bunch of extra sheets and pillows, and it was open for the few new missionaries that did come in. Needless to say we raided the left overs and having two pillows again gave me one of the best nights sleep here.

Attached (hopefully) is a picture of the Provo Temple. We got to walk up to it on Sunday. Unfortunately it's closed for cleaning, so it's only a picture from the front gate, but it's good nonetheless!


Also here's a picure of the first vision I drew on the white board in our classroom



That's all for this week, next time I'll be in North Carolina!

-Elder Matthew B Gardner

1 John 1:4

No comments:

Post a Comment