Tuesday, February 4, 2014

January 27, 2014

There isn't much to say because it wasn't too long ago I had a P-day! At least it doesn't seem like it. Since Tuesday, we've been really persistent about teaching Tedarreus and Bill (the two I mentioned in my last message).

We taught Tedarreus the Word of Wisdom earlier this week, which I was very worried about, partly because I haven't taught it before and partly because I wasn't sure how he would take it. Luckily, he took it very well! He said he knew he had to stop those things when he first met with us. However, there's quite the stump. Alcohol, coffee, tea, illegal drugs, no problem, he's done with those. But he get paid to smoke cigarettes. He's on this panel that like taste tests them or something. But he gets $140 dollars a WEEK to do it for one, maybe two days in the week! The problem is he needs that money in order to move out, which he needs to do in order to live the law of chastity. So.. quite the stump. We just have to keep working with him, strengthening his faith and being his friend. On the bright side, he loves the Book of Mormon and coming to church.

Bill: We found out from his member friends that if he gets pushed to hard he will pretty much disappear off the face of the planet. We haven't had contact with him since Wednesday. Not sure what to do at this point...
If you remember a few e-mails ago, I mentioned someone named Douglas, a former we found that was ready again. We haven't had contact with him for about two weeks now. But last night we had a fabulous lesson with him and things are rolling again, putting all 3 of these men looking forward to a baptism date.

As for me personally, I'm doing much better because I've been getting back into my sketch book lately. Last week on our P-day (which remember was Teusday) we had a zone activity. Our whole zone got together and played sports, tyedyed shirts, and pretty much just hung out. First off we got to wear normal clothes, which was glorious. Second, because I'm in no wise a very sporty person, I sat on the stage drawing. A lot of people said I was really good, and now I'm even drawing a couple of missionaries!

40 day fast: As a mission (starting yesterday), we are doing a 40 day fast to become closer to Christ. We can take this opportunity to either give up something temporal, or improve on something spiritual, or maybe even both. I have decided to do both, and invite all of you to try it as well. Start each day covanenting with God with what you're going to do, and then report to him each night, thanking him for strength or pleading for forgiveness depending on how you did. What I've done:

Temporal: I'm giving up soda. Everytime I see someone doing this, I think they're crazy. But I had the thought come to mind coincidentally as I was drinking soda that maybe I should try it and see if there are any benefits.
Spiritual: As missionaries, we stress being exactly obedient, and I haven't quite been doing so good. Specifically with going to bed. We're supposed to go to sleep at 10:30, but I'm out like a light around 9:30, the second daily planning is done. I'm going to stay up til I'm supposed to, and take this time to draw as I mentioned earlier.


Again I invite all of you to do the same, and I'll tell you how I'm doing at it week to week.

With Love, 
Elder Matthew Gardner

No comments:

Post a Comment